Improve Sleep Naturally: Better Sleep Month 2017
It doesn’t matter if you’re well slept, or super tired. We all have a story about sleep’s impact on our lives. To celebrate May’s National Better Sleep Month we want to hear from you. Share your sleep story, learn how to improve sleep naturally, and understand why sleep is important to you and your family. Maybe even win some amazing Sleep Number products along the way. Read on. Sleep on!
Why is Sleep Important?
While people have come to understand the importance of diet and exercise for good health, the essential role of sleep is often overlooked. People who are doing everything else right but not sleeping well are suffering the cognitive, physical and emotional consequences of inadequate rest. Sleep is at the center of a healthy life, yet many people are not getting enough sleep — and the sleep they are getting is marginal.
On a personal level, sleep affects everything from our physical health to our level of energy, memory, attentiveness, agility, creativity, resourcefulness, relationships with others and more. Our bodies recover faster and perform better with adequate sleep. We look better, feel better and make better decisions when we are well rested. (Hey girl, you’re so smart and your skin is glowing!)
Our white paper, written by Pete Bils, Vice President, Sleep Science and Research at Sleep Number, digs deeper into Quality sleep: The center of a healthy life.
The white paper goes on to explain how the nation’s sleep deficit — both the quantity and quality of sleep — is a serious, unmet health need. Inadequate sleep is a risk factor for obesity and chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease, in addition to causing fatigue and lack of focus, according to the Division of Sleep Medicine at Harvard Medical School. Persistent sleep issues also are linked to long-term mood disorders, including depression, anxiety and mental distress. Lack of sleep affects the immune system, inflammation, cholesterol, metabolism and the hormones that regulate appetite, according to University of Helsinki researchers.
Tips to Sleep Better Naturally
- Eliminate coffee after noon for better quality sleep. It can take up to seven hours for caffeine to wear off, which can interrupt your sleep. So, that 4 p.m. latte you just had doesn’t wear off until 11 p.m. Hmmm… maybe that’s why you can’t fall asleep?
- Set your bedroom temperature to 65-68 degrees; ideal for great sleep. Not too hot. Not too cold.
- Assess what you’re sleeping on. You spend 1/3 of your life in BED! You need QUALITY sleep, like you can get from a Sleep Number bed that can be adjusted to both of you at any time. Read how blogger, SheSaved, says her Sleep Number bed saved her marriage: 5 Reasons a Sleep Number Bed Can Help Save Your Marriage
- Sleep Number customers who adjust the firmness of their bed – their Sleep Number® setting – are 58% more likely to have improved sleep quality.* SleepIQ® technology inside the beds lets you track and optimize your sleep so you know how to adjust for your best night’s sleep, and Sleep Number research shows people who used SleepIQ® technology experienced improved sleep quality and more restful time in bed. *Increase measured in a 2015 Select Comfort study including 1,079 individual participants.
- Don’t exercise within 2 ½ hours of bedtime to get better sleep.
- Stress/worry on your mind? When your brain is busy, having trouble sleeping can be a real issue. Keep a journal or piece of paper on your nightstand and make a list of what’s likely to keep you up at night and set it aside for another time.
- Check out these other helpful tips:
How to meditate before bed
6 science-backed tips for falling back asleep that actually work
6 counterintuitive sleep solutions to try tonight
Share Story, Enter Chance to Win NEW Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed
Our Sleep Number team wants to hear your sleep stories. Did better rest benefit your relationship? Are you happier, kinder, in less pain, more active, or maybe just more attractive after a solid night’s sleep? We want to hear your Sleep Number stories. Tell us your tale—serious or funny, long or short! As a thank you, one lucky person will be selected to win a brand new Sleep Number 360 smart bed. Click here to enter and read official sweepstakes rules.
Quality sleep will keep you performing your best. Like diet and exercise, sleep is essential for optimal health and performance. Because everyone’s sleep needs are different, Sleep Number® beds with SleepIQ® technology inside adjust to your ideal level of firmness, comfort and support. SleepIQ technology tracks how well you sleep each night, giving you personal insights into your sleep so you’ll learn how life affects your sleep and how sleep affects your life. Find your Sleep Number® setting for your best possible night’s sleep.