Best Motivational Books to Accomplish Goals
We all do it: Make “I’m-going-to-change-xxx” resolutions with much determination and then somehow lose our way not long after. But maybe you’ve been going about your life to-do list the wrong way. Whether it’s overcoming your fears, getting your health back on track, or finally writing that novel, these five books offer insights into your mind and body so you can finally accomplish your goals.
- Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone: If your goal is to find where you fit into an increasingly disconnected world, research professor Brene Brown has you covered. Through her own social research and accessible narration, Brown provides a practical guide to help you reconnect with who you are and with those around you, even those outside your comfort zone. Brown, who studies courage, empathy, vulnerability and shame, also examines how anxiety and depression may be keeping you from social interaction and how to channel your courage to overcome loneliness.
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World: Being happy all the time isn’t an achievable goal. So what is? Finding joy in every day life. In their first book together, spiritual leaders Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama describe how they found their paths to joy — and how you can, too — despite serious obstacles and suffering. Through their intimate stories, we learn how to apply their sage advice, known as the Eight Pillars of Joy, to achieve lasting joy and inner peace.
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear: You don’t have to be a gifted or tortured soul to be a creative. Those are some of the myths Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, tackles in her first self-help book. Whether you want to write your first novel, achieve success in the visual arts or make your mark on the screen or stage, Gilbert offers practical and inspirational insight into the creative process and the creative life.
- Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes: There’s a definite mind/body connection when it comes to achieving any goal. And it’s not as complicated as you think. Motivational author Tom Rath uses scientific research on how eating, moving and sleeping impacts much of our lives — and offers a practical plan to do each of these better.
- The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People’s Lives Better, Too): Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project, continues to focus her attention on happiness, habit and human nature. Rubin distills her own surveys of human personality into four tendencies: upholders, questioners, obligers and rebels. Each category has its owns dos and don’ts — based on research and Rubin’s own insight — that can help you succeed in life and accomplish your goals.
Now that you have some road maps for accomplishing your goals, be sure to put reading these books on your to-do list. A good night’s rest is essential to functioning your best to meet your goals — learn more about the motivational benefits of sleep.
Other Sleep Number® Book Club Recommendations:
- 4 Inspiring Travel Memoirs by Adventurous Women
- 5 Humorous Books to Help Melt Away Stress
- 4 Memoirs From Women Who Rocked Midlife
Quality sleep will keep you performing your best. Like diet and exercise, sleep is essential for optimal health and performance. Because everyone’s sleep needs are different, Sleep Number® beds with SleepIQ® technology inside adjust to your ideal level of firmness, comfort and support. SleepIQ technology tracks how well you sleep each night, giving you personal insights into your sleep so you’ll learn how life affects your sleep and how sleep affects your life. Find your Sleep Number® setting for your best possible night’s sleep.
Photo by Eye for Ebony